Monday, November 10, 2008

Ode to Dennis

They say you may not make it
Pneumonia is taking it's toll
So I held your hand and talked to you
I asked you not to go

I made small talk and silly jokes
Reminded you of Bullwinkle too
Anything I thought would help
As I watched the monitors for a clue

I asked God not to take you now
I asked you to stay awhile
And as selfish an act as that may seem
It came out of my love for you pal

I know your life has been hell on earth
Your mind was tormented for years
And I know the big sleep will bring you peace
But it will also bring a flood of tears

And if you find you have to go, then go easily my brother
But I need to tell you this one thing first
There is a great big family here around you, of which I am but one
This is hurt for all of us, but for me it seems the worst

We are asking God not to take you yet; and asking you to wait
With us your life is not done
We need you here among us, your Mom & Dad, Sis and Dave...
So please stay a little longer man, don't step into the grave

So now that the darkest of hours are near
We ask you thru Gods voice to stay
We aren't ready for this Dennis
You can put this off for now; pick it up another day

Come back to us and stay
There will be time for this...another time, another day

No comments: